Hubs vs. Grinch

I have to admit... I was a Grinch. I wasn't all that into Christmas in my younger days. Well, to be fair, I really wanted to be, but growing up, I didn't have the best references to really "get into the spirit" so to speak. I mean we had great gifts, decorated the house and usually got what we wanted - more than really. But the spirit wasn't always jolly. It was a strain for our family to afford those wonderful gift givings and many extra hours were worked to make them happen. Don't get me wrong, we had one heck of a holiday the day of. Everyone was jolly or drunk. Sometimes both if you were lucky. We ate well and we had a wonderful time, but it was hard to see your family work so hard to make you happy. I felt guilty almost.

As I got older, I made it my mission to give because that was what made me happy, to see my family happy. I didn't want them to want for anything. And it was nice to see them enjoy things. I also liked the traditions but I really felt like we had lost so many people in our family that we were losing traditions too. See, downer isn't it?

I have always had a solid rule, one holiday at a time. No Christmas before Thanksgiving and technically, as a kid, we never celebrated or got into the decorating mode until Dec. 10th because of my brother's birthday. Then I met my husband. He would probably listen to Christmas music year round if he could. He's a big spirit to say the least and has given me tons of grief because I won't allow him to put the Christmas tree up the day after Halloween. No joke. A girls gotta have boundaries.. ya know?!

Well, like most things, time changes you and so do kids. Kids make everything happier in my opinion. But also because I have one of the most wonderful husbands to share this wonderful time of the year with. I can't thank him enough for his dedication to our family and for making each day wonderful, and the holiday even better. 

Now as a mother, we are developing many traditions of our own. As well as with our fam ilies. It's really quite magical. But to be honest, its EXHAUSTING! I mean Pinterest alone will make ya think you are the Grinch if you aren't crafting baking or triming a tree every day. Elves on shelves, cookie making days, and all that jazz.... sheesh, I am worn out and there are 2 weeks to go! I haven't even wrapped a single present and started shopping in October! WHo AM I!?!

So.. yes, my husband killed the Grinch folks. I am as jolly and happy as they come when it is Christmas time now. I think I listened to Christmas music before him this year... but still strong on the no tree till after Thanksgiving rule. Gotta stand my ground on that one. 

 
OH, I should also add that Ash HATED Santa and LB isn't too fond of him this year either. Guess we won't be winning any photo contests this year. 




Until next time..
Shona

Comments

Popular Posts