People First Language

In response to an article written in the NWI Times, I have sent the writer this response. I hope it's taken seriously and he listens to my pleas.

Dear Mr. Scheibel, 

First, I would like to take the time to thank you for writing the article on the Chasing Dreams Organization. As a mother to a beautiful little girl who has Down syndrome, it's great to see the organization getting attention it needs in our community. 

Also being a mother to this adorable girl, I have learned that it's my responsibility to be her voice until she has her own. With that said, I wanted to share with you a concept called People-first language/. You can read more about it here.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People-first_language 

While I realize Wikipedia isn't the most "reliable" source, it still gives you the idea behind the concept. I do also realize this is a new way of addressing those with disabilities, but we have to start somewhere. Many people in our community learn from the media. Therefore it would be great to teach writers, like yourself, this concept in hopes that others will follow your lead. 

Again, thank you for taking the time to shed light on our community and the resources that are coming available. I do hope you take my message seriously and understand where I am coming from. 

I have a daughter. She is wonderful. She just happens to have an extra chromosome. The chromosome isn't who she is. 

Thank you for your time.

Comments

Popular Posts